E-readers and electronic texts are relatively
popular, with Amazon’s Kindle line of devices and Barnes & Noble’s Nook
reader being very common. Apple’s iPads, Google’s Nexus, and other handheld
phones and tablets have e-reader options, too, including the Kindle app,
available on them. It has been discussed in school board meetings across the
United States that we should get rid of paper textbooks and instead invest in e-readers
and online textbook options to reduce the cost of having to replace costly
texts when they become worn out or outdated. But is this the best answer to the
textbook issue?
There are certainly benefits to electronic
reading. Cost and money are huge factors when companies and individuals make
decisions. When publishers print books, they have to include the cost of paper,
ink, and distribution costs into the price of a book. If a book does not sell
well, the extra copies of the book get sent back to the publisher or sit on
shelves or in warehouses, which is a problem electronic texts will never face.
The cost of getting new texts loaded onto an electronic device (once you’ve
paid for the initial device) is typically lower than buying a paper-and-ink book.
People with visual disabilities can easily change the text size on an e-reader,
which is impossible with a printed book. The improving technology means the
screens are getting better, so eye strain is less of a problem, battery life is
lengthening, and clarity of digital text continues to improve. Overall, there
are quite a few positives for e-reading.
However, there are negatives to electronic
reading, too. Nicholas Carr, in chapter six of The Shallows: What the
Internet is Doing to our Brains, argues that there are quite a few
downsides to reading online or on electronic devices instead of books. Print
books are very linear in nature - start at the beginning and read until the
end. E-books, on the other hand, are somewhat non-linear in their features.
You can click on words or links to be taken to different resources, but when
you do this, it interrupts your brain’s interaction with the written text. When
e-books first became popular, the proponents of the format pointed out the
benefit of hyperlinks that could take a reader to a dictionary definition, an
encyclopedia article, or other electronic resource while people are reading.
However, the devices being connected to the internet actually creates more of a
distraction. Choosing whether or not to click on a hyperlink may seem like a
mundane task when reading an article or story, but by dedicating some brain
processing power to making that decision, you have now taken some of your focus
away from comprehending what you are reading, and studies have shown that
comprehension deteriorates when there are choices to be made. With connected
devices, you can now surf the Internet, click on links, go shopping, or check
your email, all while “reading” a book. One person interviewed suggested that
e-readers “can help return to us our attention spans and extend what makes
books great: words and their meanings.” Mr. Carr followed that quote with a
warning from Marshall McLuhan: beware of “the inability to see how a change in
a medium’s form is also a change in its content.” Publishers are now
considering adding videos, sound effects, and other distractions to electronic
books. This will not help us focus on the stories, but instead, they will add
to the distraction.
Overall, I see both the benefits and pitfalls of
electronic reading. Cost is a huge factor for school districts considering
textbook replacement, and many schools are already investing in computers,
laptops, or other electronic devices for students, so there is a natural
cost-saving interest if cheaper electronic versions of books were available.
However, Nicholas Carr would most likely err on the side of printed books
having more benefit for students if ease of use and comprehension were
considered. There is no question as to how one uses a book. We start at the
cover, open the book and read from the beginning to the end. The title and
table of contents are in the front, and the glossary and index are in the back.
We can use bookmarks or sticky notes to jot down thoughts or questions, but we
know how to use a book. Electronic readers are not always as easy to navigate.
Student comprehension of text is one of the most important things we focus on in
elementary school - how students understand what they are reading. If students
were more distracted and had decisions to make that took their focus away from
constructing meaning, or as we ask my third graders to do, visualizing the
movie in their minds, as they read, we are sacrificing one of the biggest
purposes of reading - comprehension and understanding. E-readers do have their
benefits, but I will continue to encourage my students and my own children to
keep turning those paper pages and watching the movie in their minds.
The debate between ebooks and paper copies is a hard one. My 3rd graders use both in my classroom. I have many paper books that they can choose to read and they are also on MyOn through the week. I read paper books a loud and they view books on line. I tell my students if they can't get to the public library or they don't have books at home they need to go on MyON. Some of the families can't afford paper books either. They will also be taking their VA SOLS on line. Learning to read and understand ebooks will be good for them.
ReplyDeleteGreat job Mindy, I teach Cosmetology in Fairfax County and we are going to an E-book this year. I've was on the Beta committee and I share the same concerns. My students tell me they like a real book, but they never want to use one or check one out, So I'm trying something different to hopefully engage my learners.
ReplyDeleteMy students loose interest quickly, they don't even like the short motivational videos that I put in my power-points??
I found your information and thoughts on ebooks interesting. My 4th graders have not started using these in class yet. They do read on the Myon website and use I-Ready Reading but don't bring devices in from home to use during reading workshop. Personally, I like holding a book and reading it aloud in class and can model what a good reader sounds like since we work on fluency in fourth grade. I am all for a little of both and not going 100% to this technology.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your insight on the benefits and challenges of the e-book. I agree that the books are easy to access but provide additional distractions. I understand that we are in a digital world, but sometimes reading a book old fashion book provides a fulfilling experience as well. I see many benefits to the textbooks but maybe if they provided a textbook reader specifically designed for text books to help eliminate the web browsing and outside distraction that come with downloading the book on a familiar device. That way it provides all the percs of the e-book and serves the purpose as intended.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Mindy! I'm on the fence with e-books versus good old-fashioned paper books. Me, as a reader, I like paper copies. I like to flag pages, make notes on the side, highlight, use sticky notes, and while many of the e-book readers have capabilities to do things like highlight, it's just not the same. Those are the same strategies I have taught my students to do in the past--yet another way of students making their thinking visible. Plus, when I have given students PDF copies of things to read, I still have many asking for paper copies. Ultimately, I guess it comes down to a preference thing. I know plenty who love their kindles and take them everywhere they go, but I still see plenty still carrying books around, too! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting you mention distractibility issues with the hyperlinks. I hadn't thought much of that until reading your post, but I totally agree, it's easy to get so caught up clicking and going from link to link that you can miss the main point of the book.